There are many magical things about these cookies. For one thing, you can eat them for breakfast. They taste amazing with coffee. Who doesn’t want cookies for breakfast?
Secondly, you only need one bowl to make them. (I’m a lazy baker – I only do things I can do all in one bowl.)
Thirdly… IT’S BACON. IN. A. COOKIE. My step-dad (who is vegetarian) once accidentally started eating one and conveniently went temporarily deaf until he was done eating it. (That’s how good they are.)
- 1/2 pound bacon (the good thick stuff – applewood smoked if you can)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups corn flakes or equivalent flake-y cereal (this is the part where you pretend they are healthy, so choose accordingly)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (Some people will tell you raisons are ok as a substitute. Those people are wrong.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon until very crisp, drain well and chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and baking soda and stir into butter mixture. Stir in bacon, multi-grain flakes and cranberries.
3. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Space 2 inches apart. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove to rack to cool – about 2 minutes, then remove from rack.
Ravenously devour all the bacon cookies. Do not share with the children. If anyone asks what that delicious smell is… it must be that new scented candle you bought! Share with your loving family because it’s Family Day. (But make a secret extra batch for you and hide it in the cupboard.)