FIREFLY @ MKDC – Perth’s ORIGINAL Camp Leadership Program!
Maple Key’s FIREFLY leadership program is like a gifted program for teens with leadership potential.
This program is designed to help them develop into responsible, caring young adults, while providing the campers with positive role models to assist them in their personal growth at camp. This is not cheap childcare for your older child – it is a progressive, exclusive program that requires a serious commitment – but the rewards are unmeasurable.
The Role Of A FIREFLY Is to:
- take part in daily hands-on training in a variety of leadership skills, including public speaking, conflict management, communication skills, and team building
- learn skills specifically related to working with children, including behavior management, age group characteristics, and activity planning
- “shadow” camp staff and begin to experience leadership firsthand
- work as part of a team to make camp a happy & safe place for kids
Benefits of Being A FIREFLY:
- have fun and learn important life skills in an exciting camp atmosphere
- enjoy all of MKDC’s awesome camp activities
- 4 hours per week (for a total of 32 hours) of formal instruction in job related skills
- experience in a job-like environment
- a “foot in the door” to possibly becoming a future staff member at Maple Key
- learn valuable skills that are applicable to home, school, and future employment
- gain work experience for your first resume
- receive a detailed final evaluation that can also be used as a letter of reference
Due to the progressive nature of the program, Leaders In Training must commit to attending a minimum of 4 weeks. (No one becomes a leader in just a week!) Successful FIREFLYs will receive an invitation to return for the following summer. A limited number of FIREFLY positions are accepted each summer and applications must be approved by the camp director.
Preference will be given to applications from those who…
- Have attended Maple Key consistently as campers
- Are able to commit for most or all of the full summer season
- Took advantage of leadership opportunities at camp during their final camper year
- Have demonstrated leadership in other areas of their life (school, church, extracurricular, etc)
Please note: FIREFLYs are still considered campers in every way, other than in the nature of their programming. They do not perform the duties of staff, but will assist staff during their “shadowing” time.
FIREFLYs are our future leaders and serve as role models to our younger campers, and we take that responsibility very seriously. Appropriate behaviour is extremely important at all times. Any FIREFLY who, in the opinion of camp staff, does not behave in a manner that becomes a future staff member, will be asked not to continue in the program.
Note: To be eligible to start the FIREFLY program you must be 13 years old by the end of the calendar year. Campers with birthdays late in the year who may not feel ready for the next step may elect to do an “extra lap” as a camper to start FIREFLY after they have already turned 13.
To register as a FIREFLY, please register online and have your camper complete the FIREFLY form which will be available in your account once registration is complete. Successful applicants will be asked to pay the FIREFLY tuition fee, which covers staff, training, insurance and materials (binder, t-shirt, etc).